President Obama sat down with congressional leaders at the White House on Friday to get down to business on the looming fiscal curb. Lawmakers emerged sounding optimistic, suggesting they’ve actually been making progress — kind of shocking for those who haven’t blocked out the 2011 debt ceiling war.
We’ll have details during a special Friday edition of The Last Word at 10pm ET. Here’s a look at more stories we’re following right now:
- Despite obstacles, GOP and Dem leaders optimistic on tax and spending deal
- David Petraeus: CIA believed Benghazi was a terrorist attack
- At Republican governors’ gathering, plenty of blame for Romney
- Gov. Christie to Romney: Time to move on!
- Paul Krugman on raising retirement age
- Meghan McCain: If GOP doesn’t change, I may become an Independent
- President Obama wishes ‘happy birthday‘ to Speaker John Boehner