The NRA emerged from a closed door meeting on gun violence prevention with no kind words for White House officials, complaining that policy proposals the organization suggested had been “prejudged” and that too much time was spent discussing gun restrictions.
The NRA released the following statement after the meeting:
We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment. While claiming that no policy proposals would be “prejudged,” this Task Force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners – honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans. It is unfortunate that this Administration continues to insist on pushing failed solutions to our nation’s most pressing problems. We will not allow law-abiding gun owners to be blamed for the acts of criminals and madmen.
The group signaled it has no interest in working with the White House any longer, adding that “Instead, we will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of congress of both parties who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works—and what does not.”
The organization boasted this morning that it has seen an 100,000 person increase in membership in the last 18 days, and told reporters in advance of the meeting that, “The NRA is not going to compromise on any of the principles of the Second Amendment, nor are we going to support banning guns. But we’re willing to listen.”
Thursday’s meeting was one of many for Vice President Joe Biden and his gun violence task force, which has been meeting with gun rights and gun control advocates along with gun retailers this week. Biden says he plans to release policy proposals to the president by next Tuesday.